IEEE Standard for Ethernet & the Single Twisted Pair Link P802.3cg™ Project
This session will compare established IEEE 802.3™ Ethernet using two or four twisted pair links to deliver signal and power with a nominal design reach of 100 m. The P802.3cg™ title is “Standard for Ethernet Amendment: Physical Layer Specifications and Management Parameters for 10 Mb/s Operation and Associated Power Delivery over a Single Balanced Pair of Conductors”. As stated it uses a single twisted pair link and is intend to serve the Internet of Things (IoT) with much greater distance capability but still with adequate data rate and PoE ability.
- Developed to provide power and Ethernet at distances claimed to be up to 1 km, whilst delivering a data rate of 10 Mb/s.
- Uses a single twisted-pair link with simplified equipment interfacing
- Uses are industrial, security, smart building and automotive applications.
- Application examples; web cameras, access control, sensors, wireless access points, climate control and lighting
- protection requires careful thought because of the long cable distance